Wednesday, October 14, 2009

enter the wonderful world I have created...

My idea is for a 20-30 page story about a depressed college student who has just gone through a hard breakup and must deal with the emotions that the split brings out in him. It will presented in a traditional comic book one shot format and will, most likely, be black and white. The main character of the story is named Matt, he's an average college art major but recently seems to be slipping do to personal problems. We meet Matt for the first time the morning after he has broken up with his girlfriend, Susan. Our main character seems to have lost a lot of enthusiasm for school work, interacting with friends and classmates, and life in general. Matt is pretty self absorbed during this period in his life and what I hope to do with this in the project is show a intimate and realistic look into the thoughts and emotions of this character as he comes to grips with himself. Matt is a average looking young guy but doesn't view himself positively at all. According to Matt he's out of shape and over weight, and has a large hang up about his hair which he is started to lose even though he's in his mid twenties. Since all of the spot light is on Matt, side characters are going to be regulated to less substantial roles. We will never see what they are thinking, unlike with Matt with whom we have full disclosure. I did this on purpose because to me the focus of the book is how Matt currently perceives his world, and to be honest no one besides himself is of any real importance to him right now. Matt's ex girlfriend Susan will have an ongoing presence throughout the story, though I decided to wait on taking full use of her using her until the book's climax. She could be looked at as the secondary main character, but I have a feeling that's not how the reader will see her, its really more of a one man show. This project will be a venture into unknown territory for me as Ive never tried to do a simple character examination piece before. The setting is common place and unrealistic which may also be difficult for me. Ill be trying to raise the bar on my inking techniques as well and hopefully utilize a new art style which will be effective for this type of book. My work ethic will be about around 10 hours of work a week and as much time as I can realistically fit in during the weekends. I typically come up short on these types of commitments but I feel strongly about sticking to it this time (hope I don't end up eating those words)

No comments:

Post a Comment